11 February 2010

SR500

I bought the SR for $425 in 1992 (I think). Rough but running 1978 SR500E.

Neither the seller or I knew how to start the thing and after a half an hour of kicking and pushing the thing up and down the street we managed to get it started.

Suspension was very tired so I traded my CD175 for a set of shocks and fork springs. Some of the setup came from something called the Minton Mods by Joe Minton. I'll try and get that article as well as the "Performance" pages from one of my manuals scanned and on here.

The short list is:

  • White Bros Pipe w/Supertrapp 
  • Progressive suspension fork springs and shocks
  • Updated jetting
  • K&N filter
  • Refreshed top end 


With the pipe, jetting and top end work the bike pulled 30 rear wheel horsepower on a Dynojet model 100 dyno.









Additionally, I'd installed a set of drop clubman bars, bar end mirrors and Raask rearset foot pegs.











In this trim I put lots of miles on the bike. Living in Portland Oregon, even with the rain it was my only transportation for a year or so.

At some point I picked up an old Don Vesco cafe fairing. A friend helped fabricate some stainless mounts and then I had the whole bike painted. The fairing is pretty heavy and since the SR is so narrow the fairing is a pretty big hole to punch. Top end was dropped by about 10 mph. 

Here's a shot returning from one of the BMW rallies. Detroit lake Oregon on our way back to Portland from Redmond. Pulled many 300 to 500 mile days with this bike.

The bike is static in my garage now. Last registered in 1999, I had bought a 1988 GSXR1100 that I rode more. Then spent a year working overseas and when I moved back to the US my wife to be and I relocated from the West coast to the East coast (Boston). No garage so the bike was parked in a friends garage until recently we bought a place with a garage. So now it's in with the other projects waiting their turn for work. 

I can say that finally getting this all posted, which involved going through some old files really reminded me what a great bike this is. Maybe it'll move up the to-do list a few places.

Thump
Todd

No comments: